Study on transparency of EU Structural Funds
Beginning with the 2007-2013 programming cycle, and in line with the concept of open government, European cohesion policies are increasingly committed to open data as a means of transparency in order to improve implementation of public policies and to inform the public of Europe’s contribution to local development.
Within this context, the survey of the transparency of European Structural Funds, which started in 2010 as an independent study, was subsequently updated periodically within the scope of OpenCoesione. The survey gathered data on accessibility, on the information available, and on the methods of publishing the operations co-financed by the structural funds—now known as the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESI Funds)—published on the websites of the managing authorities and/or centrally by the Member State.
Over time, and especially for the latest 2014-2020 programming cycle, this study, which began with the observation and comparative analysis of what is being done by the various Member States following the requirement to publish lists of beneficiaries (Article 69 of Regulation (EU) 1828/2006), has been supplemented with new variables and new indicators.
All annually registered data are published in the Focus Analysis of the Transparency of European Structural Funds of the Open Data section of the website and have been the subject of the following reports:
- Brief no. 40 -Transparency in the implementation of European cohesion policies: results of the studies via the online
- La trasparenza nell'attuazione delle politiche di coesione in Europa: evidenze dalle indagini online sui websitei del ciclo 2014-2020 (presentation for the IFEL webinar, June 2017) (IT)
- Brief no. 29 - La trasparenza dell'attuazione delle politiche di coesione in Europa: evidenze e lezioni apprese dalle indagini online del ciclo 2007-2013 (IT)
- Brief no. 21 - Transparency of lists of beneficiaries of Structural Funds in Europe: state of the art in 2014 (EN)
- Brief no. 13 - Il formato dei dati sui beneficiari dei Fondi Strutturali: si tratta di dati aperti? (IT)
- Transparency on Structural Funds’ beneficiaries in Italy and Europe, published in issue no. 27 of the Materiali UVAL, 2012 (EN)