Study on transparency of EU Structural Funds
Beginning with the 2007-2013 programming cycle, and in line with the OpenGovernment paradigm, EU cohesion policy is increasingly focused on deploying open data as a transparent means of enhancing the implementation of public policy and of informing the public of how Europe is contributing to development.
Within this context, beginning in 2010 and annually since then, OpenCoesione has been gathering data on the transparency of projects co-financed by Structural Funds—now the European Investment and Structural (ESI) Funds—published on the websites of the Managing Authorities and/or by the various Member States.
Having begun with the observation and comparative analysis of the efforts of the individual Member States following the request to publish the lists of beneficiaries (Article 69 of Reg. (EU) 1828/2006), over time, and particularly with the new 2014-2020 programming cycle, these research efforts have been supplemented with new variables and indicators.
All annually registered data are published in the Focus Analysis of the Transparency of European Structural Funds of the Open Data section of the website and have been the subject of the following reports:
- La trasparenza nell'attuazione delle politiche di coesione in Europa: evidenze dalle indagini online sui websitei del ciclo 2014-2020 (presentation for the IFEL webinar, June 2017) (IT)
- Brief no. 29 - La trasparenza dell'attuazione delle politiche di coesione in Europa: evidenze e lezioni apprese dalle indagini online del ciclo 2007-2013 (IT)
- Brief no. 21 - Transparency of lists of beneficiaries of Structural Funds in Europe: state of the art in 2014 (EN)
- Brief no. 13 - Il formato dei dati sui beneficiari dei Fondi Strutturali: si tratta di dati aperti? (IT)
- Transparency on Structural Funds’ beneficiaries in Italy and Europe, published in issue no. 27 of the Materiali UVAL, 2012 (EN)